Monday 13 April 2020

Simple question re Iran evaded by Michael White and Jon Snow (Jan. 24, 2004)

Simple question gets one long evasive reply from Michael White and
two brief evasive replies from Jon Snow.

I wrote to Michael White:

You wrote of Jon Snow

"I'd say he does more good for progressive attitudes than half a dozen Pilgers, wouldn't you?"

What is the best example you can cite of Jon Snow countering the propaganda campaign for war against Iran?
Joe Emersberger

MICHAEL WHITE REPLIED:

Hi there,
thanks for the note. I've been watching Jon Snow doing difficult jobs in studios but also - more important - from the field in dangerous places from many years - since El Salvador in the 80s - and assume you have not been doing the same.

He's very good at it and still gets out there in the hot spots, though he's a bus pass holder nowadays. Snow is very sceptical about US power projections around the world - it must be that experience in Central America - far more than I am in many situations. It shows in what he says when reporting and the tone he adopts in interviews.

As one of his colleagues once told me " Jon's never asked a question from the right in his life." There's some truth in that, I think, so it goes a small way to offset those who tilt the other way, often unthinkingly, they'd be shocked to be accused of bias, some of them. Just watch Leveson !

That's all I meant. And it disappoints me that someone who obviously cares about these issues, as you do, can't see that pretty elementary point. They see it on the right, all right, Snow is a frequent target.
What you seem to be doing here is making for me the point I tried to make in the offending article about the narrow and self-righteousness of the ML point of view.

Apart from that, best wishes

JON SNOW REPLIED AS FOLLOWS (I HAD CC'D HIM)

James you clear dont read my Snowblog...and have clearly not observed any of my reporting from Iran over the past thirty years...I am an unapologetic Iranofile and warn repeatedly of the antics of the Saudis. ...I look for ward to reading some of your own journalism on the matter. Best, Jon Snow

AND THEN WITH THIS:

If you cant find the time to do the research yourself I'm afraid I don't have the time either. I'm delighted to discover that you are another who has Iran's interests at heart. Best of luck in joining those of us who are attempting to bring another perspective to these dangerous times.
Best wishes, Jon Snow
Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:26 pm
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
joe emersberger



Joined: 24 Jan 2004
Posts: 513
Location: Windsor, Onatrio, Canada
Post Post subject:Reply with quote

My final reply to them
Posted by emersberger on January 29, 2012, 1:59 am, in reply to "Michael White replies about Jon-half dozen-Pilgers-Snow"

Thanks Michael and Jon:
It was a very simple question that both you should have been able to answered very easily and straight forwardly. Please think about why you couldn't.
Kindly forward me the next [or first] piece of hard hitting piece of journalism you do (Mr Snow or Mr. White) that exposes the propaganda campaign against Iran to the kind of ridicule and condemnation that it so richly deserves. Aside from silencing critics, you may (much more importantly) help prevent yet another western imposed bloodbath in the Middle East based on a pack of lies.

Joe Emersberger

SNOW REPLIES:

James your claims cannot be dignified with serious answer...you cannot even be bothered to offer a single instance of what you claim I'm sadly having to consign you to junk mail status. Thanks, and no thanks.
Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:09 am
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
joe emersberger



Joined: 24 Jan 2004
Posts: 513
Location: Windsor, Onatrio, Canada
Post Post subject:Reply with quote

WHITE'S FINAL REPLY

Oh dear, this approach will not do. I do not write often about Iran and lack expertise. Insofar as I do I seem closer to your own alarm about the prospect of a war than to the hawks. I have always taken the view that the US will not attack Iran and that Israel cannot do so without US tacit permission and support.


That may explain why the cyber/assassination options appear to be deployed to slow down the Iranian nuclear weapons programme which is what it is.


Jon Snow on the other hand has been reporting from Iran for many years, knows many people there and has top level contacts. I think you'll find plenty of evidence to support that assertion if you want to - which I doubt.


Apart from that, best wishes
Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:40 pm
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 

No comments:

Post a Comment