Friday 13 December 2019

Kerre ohoWmad: The Story Behind My Worship of Sir Paul Holmes (Jan. 25, 2013)

The Story Behind My Worship of Sir Paul Holmes
2 posts by 2 authors
 
NewstalkZB's Kerre ohoWmad 
1/25/13
The Story Behind My Worship of Sir Paul Holmes
by KERRE OHOWMAD

Sir Paul Holmes has brought magic into the lives of millions. Some say
he is the greatest New Zealander who ever lived. He has touched us
more deeply than any other man has. Many fans of his television show
continue to talk about it, many of us travelled long distances to see
Sir Jeremiah Mateparae knighting him, and speak in tones of reverence.
Some even wet their pants.

This morning, as I was riding the bus to work, I thought of all that I
had to be grateful for thanks to the strange and wondrous genius of
Sir Paul Holmes. Could it be that my very life was a gift from Sir
Paul? As I realized how he had touched me, I wept loudly, ignoring the
stares and words of derision from my fellow commuters.

Tears streamed down my cheeks as I sobbed like a girl--as I felt the
pure joy of what he had given. The feeling stayed with me through the
long day. My producer suggested emergency trauma therapy. He thought I
was in the midst of an hysterical fit, or that I had perhaps gone
insane.

If you are reading these words, you too have probably been moved as I
was moved. However, my admiration and love for Sir Paul Holmes is
better than yours. It's something different, something golden, and
sometimes I can't stand how people like you think.

But Sir Paul thinks about it. He is not aloof from the "madding
crowd", AKA his loyal listeners. No, he embraces it, manfully, like a
tender brother. That is why he shocked the world one day in 2003 by
sitting at his microphone for three inspirational minutes shouting
well deserved abuse at that black fellow who used to run the United
Nations. On subsequent occasions he did it again and again, unleashing
loving abuse on the poor, the brown, and the helpless, healing those
who were ill with his words of encouragement and hope.

This then is my tribute to Sir Paul Holmes, man of the century. 

No comments:

Post a Comment