Saturday 9 November 2019

This ludicrous journalism-as-storytelling meme (Nov. 7, 2019)

    ML Alert: Unfree Media – State Stenography And Shameful Silence
    Posted by brooks on November 7, 2019, 4:41 pm

    Excellent as usual, largely focused on the media suppression of the latest OPCW insider's report that contradicts the official version of events in Syria.

    http://medialens.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=914:unfree-media-state-stenography-and-shameful-silence&catid=57:alerts-2019&Itemid=252


      Lyse Doucet: "I am there for those without a voice."
      Posted by Morrissey on November 7, 2019, 5:45 pm, in reply to "ML Alert: Unfree Media – State Stenography And Shameful Silence"

      That's what she told a credulous New Zealand interviewer when she came here in 2013.

      https://morrisseybreen.blogspot.com/2019/01/liars-of-our-time-no-27-lyse-doucet-i.html


        Re: Lyse Doucet: "I am there for those without a voice."
        Posted by brooks on November 7, 2019, 6:57 pm, in reply to "Lyse Doucet: "I am there for those without a voice.""

        I always say journalism is story-telling. 

        subtext: You know, what parents do with children when they're putting them to sleep, or what we at the BBC do with our audiences when we want to put them to sleep, and not notice how concentrated corporate power is destroying their lives and the planet.

        This ludicrous journalism-as-storytelling meme has an enduring appeal to liberals in state media. When I met a CBC reporter in Halifax a few years back, he described his job to me in exactly those terms. I suppose the appeal is rooted in the fact that stories don't have to be either true or relevant, which makes engaging in propaganda and distraction much easier.


          Re: Lyse Doucet: "I am there for those without a voice."
          Posted by mike on November 7, 2019, 10:22 pm, in reply to "Lyse Doucet: "I am there for those without a voice.""





          This was the interview I did with Loucet en route to Aleppo last year.

          She called bs on my claim that bbc uses the phrase ‘Syrian regime’ rather than Syrian government. My friend was listening to radio 4 in uk when interview was broadcast and told me the very next news item the presenter said ‘Syrian regime’. Can you imagine Doucet ever saying US regime or regime in Riyadh?

          Ali and I had a big argument with her and bbc producer at the luggage carousel at Heathrow airport on the way back.

          I argued that that nothing in the interview should have given her the impression that I was an Assad supporter which is how she described me in her closing remarks. Eventually she conceded and offered to tweet an apology. I said ‘what to you 200 thousand followers or to the millions of radio 4 listeners?’ Conversation ended abruptly

          "Given the choice between changing ones mind and proving there's no need to do so, most people get busy on the proof"
          John Kenneth Galbraithhttp://bsnews.info


            Since I have so little sight of these mediaw hores I hadn't realised she has a NAmerican accent -
            Posted by Rhisiart Gwilym on November 7, 2019, 11:39 pm, in reply to "Re: Lyse Doucet: "I am there for those without a voice.""

            Makes sense, I suppose, they-all being so wholly pre-propagandised by their entire upbringing and subsequent lives that they will make very apt filtrates for the Five Filters of 'Manufacturing Consent'. Standard-issue delusional creature, and cocky with it, as usual.


            Re: Lyse Doucet: "I am there for those without a voice."
            Posted by brooks on November 7, 2019, 11:55 pm, in reply to "Re: Lyse Doucet: "I am there for those without a voice.""

            Well done, Mike. For Doucet and the BBC it's all just "storytelling" and parroting the western narrative, whereas for genuine journalists like yourself it's about principles of justice, democracy, international law, and the imperative to hear from the media-silenced victims of western violence. And of course the facts, something storytellers like Doucet never let get in the way of a good (NATO-friendly) yarn. It's great you got a chance to confront her face-to-face on these things, something I doubt she experiences very often.


              Brilliant, Mike.
              Posted by Morrissey on November 9, 2019, 1:42 am, in reply to "Re: Lyse Doucet: "I am there for those without a voice.""

              Interesting to see how quickly she abandons her breezy faux-cheerfulness to demean the integrity of your reporting:

              "And that's, ahhh, Mike Raddie from London, very much emphasizing the political nature of this event...."

      No comments:

      Post a Comment